Part 2 of My Juice Cleanse Series
Last week I successfully completed my very first juice cleanse! I’m a girl who loves her food, but I was able to get through 3 days of liquids only with no hunger pains and without cheating on my juice cleanse. And you can, too!
In my previous post, I walked you through how I prepared for my 3 day juice cleanse — including how I selected my juice store, how much my cleanse costs, and what I ate before my cleanse to set myself up for success — so if you haven’t already referred to it, you can check it out here.
Proper preparation was part of the reason I was able to successfully rock my juice cleanse, but good habits and some helpful tactics along the way were key to my completion.
Surviving Without Food During The Cleanse
During my cleanse, I started off my day with 16 oz of water within the first 20 minutes of waking up. Water intake, along with the juices, was really essential to surviving 3 days without getting hungry.
On my way to work each morning, I stopped by the juice store I selected, Juice Press, to pick out my 6 juices for the day. This was the winning line up of my cleanse that I picked out, with the help of the Juice Press staff (not shown in the order I consumed).
You can view all of Juice Press’ juices and their ingredients here. As I mentioned in my last post, while Juice Press has some recommended cleanses, they encourage their customers to customize their own series with the help of their staff based on personal preferences and needs.
Throughout the day, I sipped a 16 oz juice every 2-3 hours, or whenever I felt hungry. I had my first at 9am, then 11am and so on all the way until about 8pm. I also consumed 16 oz of water in between each juice. I was constantly drinking something, so I really didn’t even have time to get hungry. Even as a food-loving girl, I really felt satisfied the entire day on juice and water alone.
10 Tips For Success
Here are my tips to get through the your juice cleanse days without feeling hungry:
- Pick juices you actually like – If you don’t like the juices you’re drinking, you’re going to have a really hard time sticking to your cleanse. I personally know that my juices must include at least one fruit to balance out bitter veggies. As a result of the juices I picked that matched my tastes, each time I drank one it felt like a little treat and reward.
- Water, Water, Water – I really can’t stress the importance of lots of water. Not only to curb your hunger during the cleanse, but also aid in the detoxing process.
- Fill your empty juice bottle with water – Sometimes that much water can be hard to drink, so on day two I discovered a little trick to help make it a lot easier. After finishing my juice, I took the same bottle and filled it with drinking water, without rinsing prior. My water tasted like fruit infused yummy-ness since there was a little but of the juice to add a touch of sweetness to the bottle.
- Have a bathroom handy– I expected to pee a lot, but not as much as I did. I went like every 45 minutes to an hour. Be prepared! While I was mostly in the office or at home for my cleanse, I also had to plot bathroom stops during my day. Do not get caught on a cleanse without a bathroom nearby.
- Protein juice at lunch time – My 3rd juice of the day, Juice Press’ Fountain of Youth juice, had banana, hemp protein and coconut oil in it, which was a little more substantive and filling than my other juices and helped keep me feeling satisfied throughout the rest of the day.
- Don’t dine with others – I stayed away from restaurants and group meals to make sure I was not tempted at all by food during my cleanse. I didn’t even attend social gatherings if people were going to be eating around me.
- Cleanse on work days – Since most people have a predictable schedule when working, it’s easier to keep on track with your juice and water consumption. Having work to do versus lots of down time also helps to keep your mind off food.
- Keep yourself occupied – I was so busy moving throughout my day, I often didn’t even have time to think about food. During the day there was work and after work I chose non-eating activities like going to a play, an author reading the bookstore and blogger meet ups. Stay busy!
- Light to moderate exercise only – You tend to burn a lot of calories with high-intensity exercise, which means you’re going to want to eat to replace what you lost. While cleansing, I kept my morning workout routine to yoga and walked regularly throughout the day. Enough exercise to stay active, but not enough to make me feel like I needed to replace calories.
- Keep an eye on energy levels – I actually had amazing energy all throughout my cleanse. But not everyone will feel like that. Stay in tune with how you’re feeling and if you’re feeling a little drained, pop another juice.
Post Cleanse Eating
Similar to the pre-cleanse, I made sure to ease out of my cleanse as well. The day after my cleanse, I ate vegan. It’s recommended to focus on fresh fruits and veggies for 2-3 day on the back end of your cleanse as well to continue reaping the benefits of your cleanse.
What Cleansing Did For Me
During my cleanse, I really felt better than I have in a long time! I had loads of energy, actually more than if I had eaten a solid meal, believe it or not.
The cleanse also worked wonders on my skin. While I have a good complexion normally, my skin seemed to glow more than it ever has I’ve really never seen my skin look as good as it did while I was cleansing and pre-cleansing.
From a food/diet perspective, I feel like I really learned what it means to feel satisfied, something that had a great effect on me now that I’m back to eating regular food. I learned that I don’t need to eat until I feel full in order to be satisfied. My taste buds also good a kick-start and, after the cleanse, I’m not even remotely craving unhealthy foods three days out.
I also got my mind right during my cleanse. I was more intentional about meditating, maintaining good energy within and around me during the cleanse and eliminating things that didn’t infuse me with peace and joy. My body is feeling good and my spirit is rejoicing.
All in all, I feel like I got exactly the reset my body needed from this 3-day juice cleanse. This carb-loving girl is also now a juice-loving girl too and is once again craving (primarily) healthy foods! I enjoyed the juice cleanse and my results so much, and am actually thinking about incorporating cleansing into my routine a few times a year.
RELATED POST: Beginner Juice Cleanse Guide Pt. 1 – Proper Preparation