I’m at a little bit of a crossroads with my hair. While I love my funky, fierce and colorful tapered haircut that’s been my trademark for over two years now, I’ve been feeling like I’m ready for something new for a few months now. I’ve been back and forth so many times. Should I cut it? Should I grow it? Should I dye it another color? What to do!?!
I had to remind myself that the beauty of having natural hair is that it’s so versatile. Why not experiment with something different?
So, I’ve decided to start growing out my tapered tresses. And as I focus on length retention, for me, that means making sure my hair is as healthy and happy as possible so it can blossom into a big, beautiful fro.
This month, I’m partnering with one of my favorite hair brands, Beautiful Textures, to promote #HealthyHairMonth. Perfect timing considering my decision, right?! So as I embark on this journey, I came up with 5 healthy hair growth commandments I’m sticking to during this process:
- Thou shalt shape up – Just because I’m growing my hair out doesn’t mean I’m about to become a stranger to the scissors. I’m still a firm believer that the base of any great hair style is a proper cut and shape. So, after one more round of box braids, I’ll be paying my stylist a visit so she can give me a good trim and balance the tapered shape of my hair.
- Thou shalt deep condition, regularly – I admit, since my hair has been short, I’ve mostly just conditioned in the shower for a few minutes at a time. While that’s okay sometimes, I’m committing to deep condition at least every other time I wash my hair…ideally every time. Beautiful Textures has some great products specifically designed to help retain moisture and achieve soft, defined curly styles. The Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner, which I tried out in the wash & go tutorial video below, has been working wonders helping to restore my hair’s natural moisture balance.
- Thou shalt not abandon color – Some people believe that all hair color is bad and damaging. I’m not in that camp though because I specifically seek out professional stylists that specialize in providing color treatments that don’t compromise the integrity or length of my hair. So, as I grow my hair out, I still plan to update my highlights under the care of a licensed stylist, and maybe even try a new color all together!
- Thou shalt use moisture rich styling aids – Luckily for me, a lot of curl creams and butters are infused with moisturizing properties. Products like Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter Whipped Curl Crème. In my wash & go tutorial video below, I cocktailed it with Beautiful Textures Curl Definer Mousse and I was really pleased with the results. Together, they gave me elongated and defined curls that felt soft and nourished to boot.
- Though shalt have fun! – And if at any point I feel like this growth journey is not fun anymore, I won’t be afraid to switch it up. I’m not wedded to anyone or anything….not even my hair.
Interested in how to style your own tapered cut? Check out my wash & go tutorial using Beautiful Textures styling staples.
Do you have any healthy hair commandments you stick to? Other naturalistas want to hear! Share your tips on the Beautiful Textures #HealthyHairMonth site.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Strength of Nature. The opinions and text are all mine.