Time to toast to another year of life. Today’s my birthday! As they say, “another year older, another year wiser.” And as 28 comes to a close and my chapter number 29 begins to be penned, over the past year I feel like I truly learned the meaning of that famous expression. So, as I leap into a new year of life, here are a couple important life lessons that I’m taking with me:
- If it feels right, do it. If it doesn’t, don’t. It’s that simple. This goes for pretty much everything. If something feels right, at your core, then give it a try. And if it doesn’t, no amount of effort will make it right…on to the next.
- There’s this thing called your gut. Listen to it. It will rarely steer you wrong.
- Age ain’t nothing but a number. Society will always try to tell you that at a certain age you should have accomplished this, amassed that, be doing this… but if you live your life based on someone else’s imaginary timeline, you’ll always feel like you’re coming up short.
- Time is one of the few things in life we can’t replenish, so use it wisely. Be selective about what you fill your time with…and who you spend it with.
- Sleep is over rated. Make sure you get the rest you need, but, remember, no-one ever looks back on life and remembers the night they got plenty of sleep. You’re young and you have the world at your fingertips.
- Things always look better on social media. Don’t let the hype fool you.
So with it being my birthday and all, what better occasion to pull out this little sparkly sequin number I got from one of my go-to stores a while back.
jacket & top: H&M // pants: Top Shop // shoes: Forever21 // clutch: The Catrinka Project // earrings: african jewelry man at Venice Beach // lips: MAC Ruby Woo.
Photography: O’Shea Galan