The other day, I was taking part in my normal day-to-day beauty rituals. You know, shower, apply makeup, do hair…etc. As I was doing so, I realized that I have a few beauty shortcuts that I picked up over the years that save me time, money and sometimes my sanity. So I thought I’d share a few with all of you. Here are my top nine beauty hacks every woman should know about.
1) Toilet seat covers double as oil blotting sheets. They work just as well, if not better than the real thing. They’re the same material as my preferred blotting sheet brand and they’re larger so I don’t have to go through 5 sheets to blot my whole face. And, best yet, they’re free (for you at least)!
2) Milk of Magnesia as oily skin primer. No one wants to blot every hour. I get a super oily t-zone if I don’t prep my skin with some sort of oil combating solution prior to applying my makeup. Milk Of Magnesia — yes the drinkable laxative — has been my go-to oily skin primer for years. I dab a thin layer all over my face. Let it dry for a minute (it’ll make your face a little chalky white for a moment but don’t be alarmed). Then I apply my regular moisturizer over it as I normally would (which takes away the chalky finish).
3) Use unscented baby wipes as your makeup remover cloths. They work just as well as the more expensive name brand makeup remover wipes, but for about 75% less.
4) Coconut oil to remove stubborn waterproof makeup. We all know there’s some makeup even the best of wipes won’t remove. For those, skip the bottles of makeup remover in the beauty aisle and grab the coconut oil (that almost every curly girl has on her beauty shelf at any given time anyway). Rub it on the stubborn makeup, then use the baby wipes above as normal. You’ll have a makeup free face in moments.
5) Out of shaving cream? No worries. Use your hair conditioner as your shaving cream instead. It’s moisturizing and helps the razor glide across your skin just as shaving cream does.
6) Give your lipstick extra staying power with translucent powder. It also helps take the shine down a level if you want to get a more matte look from regular satin finish lipstick. Simply hold a piece of one-ply tissue paper over your lips and brush the powder over it. My lipstick us usually good for at least half the work day or more, even after my morning cup of tea.
7) Skip the Biore strips. To remove blackheads, make a paste of corn starch and apple cider vinegar. Let it dry on your face for about 15 minutes or until it hardens, then remove with water and wash your face like normal. Ta-da!! Clearer pores for only about 20 cents!
8) Hair shampoo is a great cleanser for makeup brushes, at a fraction of the price of the expensive alternatives (like MAC’s brush cleaner). Plus, as a curly girl that loves to co-wash, I always have an extra, practically full shampoo bottle laying around the bathroom cause I only actually use it on my hair about once a month.
9) If you get mascara on your eyelash while applying (as we all do sometimes), wait until the mascara is completely dry to fix it. Once it does, take a moist q-tip and lightly wipe it over the misplaced mascara and it’ll come right off. If you wait until the mascara dries completely, you don’t have to worry about it smudging, and it’ll often come off with a dab or two without ruining your eye shadow underneath.
Do you have any beauty hacks that you swear by? Leave them in the comments section down below.